30 Uses For Coconut Oil You May Not Have Thought Of
If ever there were a beauty cure-all, it’s coconut oil. Uses for beauty abound inside each jar of the sweet-smelling oil. This beauty staple has a long shelf life and a number of health benefits. It’s a jack-of-all-trades people have discovered many uses for: breath freshener, makeup brush cleaner, hair mask, homemade lip scrub, and much more. You can use it for everything from healing scars to moisturizing dry knees.
Really, what can’t coconut oil do? The answer: mattify (and it took us a minute to come up with that one). Celebrities like Emma Stone count it among their favorite natural ingredients, and you should, too. Here, we’ve assembled 30 ways to incorporate it into your daily routine, sticking to coconut oil uses for beauty and health in particular. After you read this list, you’ll definitely want to head to your local grocery store, pick up a jar, and allow this list to help you get creative with coconuts.
1. Makeup Remover: Even the most resistant waterproof mascara doesn’t stand a chance against coconut oil. Apply it directly to the face as an oil cleanser, or let it sit on your skin with a cotton pad. Makeup will melt away.
2. Breath Freshener: Coconut oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties. Gargling for 20 minutes with a spoonful of oil (AKA oil pulling) can help clear up germs in the mouth, leading to fresher breath, whiter teeth, and healthier gums.
3. Lice Remedy: Start this all-natural lice treatment with a rinse of apple cider vinegar. Once the vinegar has dried, apply coconut oil to the entire head and let it sit for 12 to 24 hours. Brush through hair with a fine comb, then shampoo.
4. Body Moisturizer: Sweet-smelling coconut oil is rich in fatty acids, making it an effective moisturizer, and it absorbs quickly, explains cosmetic chemist Ni’Kita Wilson. That’s really key, because it means that the oil makes your skin look more glowy than lotion-y — which is why it’s a favorite of models like Frida Gustavsson, who has worked with Dior, Chanel, and Valentino. “It makes your skin soft and radiant,” she told Allure.
5. Face Moisturizer: Just as you can use it on your body, you can use coconut oil on your face to moisturize your skin. It’s particularly effective as a primer to soften the skin before applying makeup. It’ll give you a glowy, dewy look after you apply your foundation.
6. Makeup Brush Cleaner: Cleaning your makeup brushes should be a monthly ritual. You can use a DIY cleanser that’s two parts antibacterial soap and one part coconut oil.
7. Lip Balm: Coconut oil is the ideal remedy for chapped lips especially because it’s semisolid at room temperature. Pack a bit in a miniature jar and smooth over lips throughout the day.
8. Tinted Lip Gloss: Take your coconut oil lip balm to the next level by turning it into tinted gloss. It’s as simple as you might imagine: mix up coconut oil with bits of an old lipstick, or combine coconut oil with a berry-flavored Koolaid or Emergen-C packet.
9. Undereye Cream: Don’t want to spend the extra money on eye cream? Use a dab of coconut oil on undereye bags and fine lines. It’s light enough for the most delicate skin on your face.
10. Body Scrub: Mix half a cup of coconut oil with a handful of coarse salt or sugar to create an exfoliator. The moisturizing oil will last long after the grains have melted away.
11. Lip Scrub: Combine one tablespoon of coconut oil with two tablespoons of brown sugar and one tablespoon of honey. Mix it all together and you’ve got a delicious DIY lip scrub!
12. Massage Oil: Warm coconut oil in the microwave and add a few drops of an essential oil, like lavender or peppermint, for a soothing massage mix.
13. Whitening Toothpaste: Run out of toothpaste? Grab the closest jar of coconut oil and add baking soda for a quick fix. Everyone will wonder how you got such a white smile.
14. Shaving Cream: Who said shaving cream has to lather? Use coconut oil and shea butter as a base to get a closer shave that leaves legs smooth instead of dried out. To create your own coconut oil shaving cream from scratch, try this DIY shave-cream recipe. from Popsugar. It’s so easy. Grate a block of shea butter soap until you get 3/4 of a cup of shavings. These shavings will be the base of the shaving cream. From there, add two tablespoons of coconut oil and 1/4 of a cup of witch hazel. Bring it all to a boil. The soap should melt in about five minutes. Once the mixture is entirely melted, add in 1/4 of a cup of aloe vera gel (for its healing properties) and a few drops of essential oil for an amazingly sweet smell.
15. Dandruff Treatment: Dandruff and dry scalp go hand in hand. To send moisture right to the roots with a nightly coconut oil treatment. Just apply lightly to roots and massage in, which will also stimulate hair growth.
16. Body Oil: Why purchase a separate body oil when you can keep coconut oil near the bath? Just slather it on wet skin after the shower, then pat dry. You’ll smell like a beach vacation all day. Plus, it has a natural SPF 4.
17. Itch Relief: Burns, bug bites, and bruises can all be soothed with a topical balm of coconut oil.
18. Deep Conditioner: You can use hot coconut oil as a pre-shampoo treatment to soothe dry hair before you shampoo and condition. Leave in for at least an hour for an allover moisturizing treatment.
19. Night Cream: Another one of our favorite coconut oil beauty uses is a night cream. Apply coconut oil to your face at night for maximum moisturizing benefits. The antioxidants are great for smoothing fine lines and wrinkles while you sleep and let it really soak in.
20. Leave-in Conditioner: Hydrate dry hair by using coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner. Apply a small amount to wet strands to seal in moisture.
21. Frizz Tamer: Flyaways be gone with this smoothing treatment. Just rub a dime-size amount in your hands and smooth from midshaft to ends for frizz-free style that’s high on shine.
22. Deodorant: Yes, you can make your own natural deodorant at home (and it works). Mix coconut oil with arrowroot powder, cornstarch, baking soda, and a scented oil for a DIY odor fix.
23. Eczema Relief: A recent study even suggests that virgin coconut oil can soothe eczema better than mineral oil. Coconut oil can reduce inflammation and relieve itching when you apply it to affected areas.
24. Cuticle Oil: Got cracked cuticles? Another one of the beauty uses for coconut oil is cuticle oil. Remedy peeling skin with a coconut oil balm right at the base of nails. It can also help your manicure last longer.
25. Wound Salve: The same antifungal and antibacterial properties that make coconut oil a solid breath freshener also make it a good would salve more minor scrapes and cuts.
26. Stretch Mark Cream: Expectant moms should keep a jar of coconut oil nearby to help ward off stretch marks, but anyone can use this as a topical treatment for scars. While the oil won’t fade any marks, it can help prevent dark spots and blisters from forming.
27. Chest Rub: Combat congestion, sinus headaches and stuffy noses with a DIY chest rub made from (you guessed it) coconut oil. Actress and Food Network star Ayesha Curry shares this recipe in her latest book: Combine two tablespoons of coconut oil with five drops of eucalyptus oil and three drops of peppermint oil. Stir them together and you’re good to go! To apply, rub a bit between your hands to warm it up and then apply it to your chest, hands, nose, and even feet to feel better in no time.
28. Cold Sore Treatment: Coconut oil also helps to stop the pain and itching of a cold sore. It also stops the underlying virus from reproducing on your lips, which can lead to even more cold sores spreading out from the original sore.
29. Eyelash Growth Serum: Thanks to the many fatty acids found in coconut oil, it makes for an excellent base for creating a DIY eyelash growth serum. The coconut oil can help to stimulate growth and lead to longer lashes. Combine a tablespoon of coconut oil with one drop of lemon essential oil and one drop of lavender oil. Apply the mixture to your lash line each night with a Q-tip and dab away any excess moisture with a tissue.
30. Hair Protectant: Headed into the or ocean? Protect the fragile ends of your hair from sun and chlorine by coating them with coconut oil before getting it wet. The added bonus to this hack? Your hair will dry smooth instead of tangled.
Beauty Hacks: Quick Fixes With Coconut Oil
Powered by WPeMatico